We would like to present a photo compilation of the use of violence, including physical violence, by the power structures of Belarus at the peaceful demonstrations of the joint headquarters in Belarus. You can also see the article here:
The common ground that unites the violence of police officers against citizens:
- All citizens behaved peacefully, did not commit any violent actions, and often did nothing at all (they were at home, were coming from work or were going to work, were standing at a bus stop waiting for transport). There were no violent actions of citizens that would justify physical violence against them.
- The use of force and physical violence by the police officers was inadequate, and often brutal and resulting in serious damage to health (there are cases of broken legs and arms, bruises, concussions, etc.).
- Very often the detention, abduction, and use of physical violence were carried out by strong men in civilian clothes without any identification marks. Very often their faces were covered, and civilian cars were unmarked or different cars had the same number. When citizens tried to run away or tried not to give people over to the “bandits” (this is how the citizens identified these men), it turned out that these men were representatives of the Belarusian security forces.
- Almost all the arrests and the use of physical violence took place at the officially authorized and legal demonstrations of the joint headquarters of the opposition. That is, the opposition did not violate the law, did not conduct unauthorized protest actions, and acted as much as possible within the legal framework.
- It is also necessary to note a huge number of provocations on the part of law enforcement officers, when someone who provoked a quarrel, conflicts and even a fight turned out to be either a law enforcement officer, or a state ideologist, or a representative of the executive committee and other structures affiliated with Alexander Lukashenko, including the number of criminals. For example, police officers brought prostituted women to demonstrations and actively used them for provocations (including against YouTube blogger Sergei Tikhanovsky at a picket in Grodno, where he was illegally detained by police officers).
The detention, abduction, and use of physical violence were carried out by strong men in civilian clothes without any identification marks.
06.08.2020. Beating of Dmitry Ivashkov, an activist of the “Country for Life” movement
25.06.2020. Abduction of Nikolai Statkevich’s deputy Sergei Sparysh from his apartment. During the abduction, Sergei’s parents were also beaten by unknown men.
The arrests and the use of physical violence by police at the officially authorized and legal demonstrations of the joint headquarters of the opposition
29.05.2020, Grodno. As a result of the provocation, the head of Svetlana Tikhanovskaya’s headquarters, Sergei Tikhanovsky, was detained, as well as 9 members of the “Country for Life” team.
07.06.2020, Minsk. Mass arrests and detentions at a legal info picket to collect signatures for the Svetlana Tikhanovskaya, the candidate for presidency, near Komarovsky market.
19.06.2020, Minsk. The mass and brutal detentions at the peaceful rally “Solidarity Picket” on the last day of collecting signatures for the nomination of presidential candidates.
19.06.2020, Molodechno. Mass and brutal detentions during the peaceful rally “Chain of Solidarity”, during which one police officer took out a gun and made the threat to shoot.
19.06.2020, Bobrujsk. Mass and brutal detentions during the peaceful rally “Chain of Solidarity”.
20.06.2020, Hancevichy. Mass and brutal detentions during the peaceful rally “Chain of Solidarity”.
23.06.2020, Minsk. Mass and brutal detentions of people in the line for the art-shop symbal.by
03.07.2020, Brest. Mass arrests and detention of peaceful citizens during a peaceful action of solidarity on Independence Day.
14.07.2020, Minsk. Mass arrests and detentions during the peaceful protest action against the cancelation of the nomination of opposition candidates Viktor Babariko and Valerij Tsepkalo.
04.08.2020, Soligorsk. Mass arrests and detentions at the officially authorized and legal meeting with Svetlana Tikhanovskaya.
04.08.2020, Slutsk. Mass arrests and detentions at the officially authorized and legal meeting with Svetlana Tikhanovskaya.
There are victims – a girl’s arm is broken, a guy hit his head on the sidewalk, another guy lost consciousness – an ambulance was called.
08.08.2020, Minsk. The mass and brutal detentions during the peaceful Solidarity action with the musical DJs. More than 40 people detained.